- Drink at least 10-12 glasses of water every day.
- Eat slowly and chew your food properly.
- Do not over eat, fast or skip meals. Have small meals every 3-4 hrs.
- Start your meals with a glass of water.
- Avoid eating in between meals.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should be consumed within 2hrs of getting up.
- Thin vegetable soups, buttermilk, lime juice, coconut water.
- Wheat flakes, murmura, khakra(without oil), idli/dosa, oats etc as snacks.
- Whole grain cereals, pulses and legumes (sprouts and dals).
- Biscuits- Marie, Cream cracker, Krac-Jack, Nutritive Digestive.
- Fresh green leafy vegetables and salads (cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, onions, salad leaves, cabbage etc) in every meal should be included.
- Cow’s milk, Curds, Paneer, Buttermilk (all prepare from skimmed Cow’s milk).
- Egg white, lean chicken( deskinned), fresh fish( Mackerel, Salmon)
- Whole wheat and Multi grain breads can be consumed as advised.
- Include the following fruits- 1 small Apple, 1 Sweetlime ( mosambi),1 Orange, 1 Guava, 2 small figs( Anjir), 2slices Papaya, 1 slice water melon, 10-12 Jamuns, 1 slice Pineapple.
- Wheat flour (70%) + Wheat Bran (30%) + Oats
- Egg yolk, organ meat, red meat and meat products, and dry fish.
- Fried foods, oily foods, butter, ghee, vanaspati.
- Foods made from Sugar and Jaggery.
- Sweets and desserts, chocolates, dry fruits, peanut butter and other oil seeds.
- Restrict the use of peanuts and coconut in cooking.
- Bakery products, preserved foods, like jam, jellies, pickle, papad, chutney, tinned foods.
- Whole milk and milk products like khoa, cream, cheese etc.
- Roots and tubers like potato, yam, and Sweet potato.
- Pasta, muesli etc made from refined flour should be avoided.
- Sago( sabudana) should be avoided.
- Avoid the following fruits- Banana, Chiku, Grapes, Custard Apple, Jackfruit, and Mango.
IN CASE OF HYPOGLYCAEMIA (low blood sugar) TAKE A CUP OF MILK WITH 2 tsp SUGAR.